Saturday, May 28, 2011

Our New Baby Deer

Well, it really isn't ours but it is in our back yard and I hope that we will get to watch it grow into an adult. I suspect that this isn't the only photos that you will see of the baby as it grows.

Yesterday, as I was sitting at the breakfast table, I noticed something crawling in the grass near the treeline. At first it looked like a rabbit but it didn't hop and it would have been a really big rabbit. As I looked closer, I realized it was a new born deer. Mother was nearby as the baby hid in the tall grass.

I was surprised when mother wandered off into the distance grazing while leaving the baby in the grass. I walked towards the baby taking photos until I was about 15 feet away. I figured the poor baby's heart was pounding with fear so I didn't want to get any closer although I could have. The baby was trying hard to not move so I wouldn't notice it was hiding in the grass.

We left get something to eat. When we returned the baby was gone and hopefully safe. We really don't have too many predators in the neighborhood although we have seen foxes from time to time. The most dangerous thing for deer in our area is traffic.

Hopefully, there will be more later. We love the deer even though they eat our flowers.











No comments:

Post a Comment